Why is Keto Diet So Popular Right Now?

Category: ,

The Keto Diet has taken the world by storm, with celebrities and social media influencers swearing by its ability to make you look – and more importantly, feel great! But is this just another fad in the endless cycle of diets promising to keep the weight off and stay healthy? Here at NetCost Market, we’ve been taking a look at everything Keto to tell you more about it and why it’s so popular!

What is Keto?

Keto, short for ketogenic diet, is a diet that consists of getting a high number of calories (80% of your daily intake) from healthy fats. The remaining 20% of calories are made up of protein (15%) and carbohydrates (5%). By following this eating regime, the theory is that your body will go into a ketogenic state, which means that it’s burning fat stores instead of carbohydrates in the digestive system (as there is now hardly any). Until recently, nutritionists believed that the brain could only run on carbohydrates, but new research shows that when carbohydrates are restricted to an almost non-existent level, the body burns fat molecules in a way that allows the brain to harness the energy that’s produced. It’s this that makes Keto particularly attractive as it means that unlike other diets, you’re unlikely to suffer from an energy deficit – in fact, it’s been proven that Keto can increase feelings of alertness and concentration due to the efficiency with which the body burns fat in a ketogenic state.

So, why is Keto so popular right now?

The truth is, we’ve actually seen the Keto diet before – it was called the Atkin’s Diet back in the early 2000s. But, Keto is slightly different for two reasons – firstly, it relies not on creating a calorie deficit, but on changing the way the metabolism functions, leading to a more efficient use of fat stores – and secondly, it has been proven to work in scientific trials and controlled tests since the Atkin’s diet which was based mostly on theory. We now know that the body needs to enter a ketogenic state for the diet to work, and by following the strict rule of percentages, it helps you lose excess fat and feel better by efficiently fueling the brain.

What does a Keto Diet look like?

It can be pretty hard to get your head around this one. Lots of people still have the belief that eating fat makes you, well… fat! But Keto turns this theory on its head, proving that our relationship with food is much more complex than previously thought. A typical Keto meal would contain natural fats such as butter, olive oil, meat, fish, and cheese, and vegetables that grow above ground such as eggplant, asparagus, cucumber, zucchini, peppers, and broccoli. It would certainly be low in, or completely free of, high carbohydrate foods such as potatoes, pasta, sugary fruits, rice, bread (including cakes and doughnuts), and of course, soda and candy!

If you’re thinking about going Keto, the good news is that there is lots of scientific evidence to back it up! And the fact that the internet has blown up over it certainly indicates that many people are having great success with this new-age way of eating. But, if you are thinking of joining the Keto revolution, remember that this diet is all about discipline and sticking to the rules, otherwise, it could have the opposite effect to what you want! At NetCost Market, you’ll find a great selection of meat, fresh produce, and dairy items that are perfect for stocking your fridge if you want to join the Keto way of life, so head down to your local store and see what we have to offer!